Monday, March 10, 2008

Restoring the Malaysian in Me

I've never really felt like a true Malaysian ever since I became conscious about national identity, mainly due to my schooling, upbringing and the existence of foreign blood in me. Malaysia was just a physical place that I grew up. As I attended an international school I never understood what it means to be Malaysian despite holding the nationality.

Identifying with Singapore was natural as there is where half of my blood came from. Second was my identity as a Chinese owing to my strong Chinese cultural upbringing in my family. Third was that I understood more of Europe and the western world because of my education. In a way, I felt like a foreigner and that feeling was amplified by my inability to speak Bahasa Malaysia.

Throughout my years growing up I came to understand that being a Malaysian is not the same as being a citizen treated impartially and fairly by the government like in other countries. We are classified as different races and treated differently based on our skin colour. This is done when we call our country, Home.

I always thought why? Singapore is basically our blood brothers and sisters but they can function where everyone is the same and treated equally. I still remember the Singaporean song, 'One People, One Nation, One Singapore', but I just can't seem to identify Malaysian as 'One People, One Nation, One Malaysia'.

In addition, the superb inefficiency and corruption really turn me off and still do. I am sure many of us feel the same. We question when will the day that everyone can be of One People and become a corrupt-free nation. With the exception of some activists and politicians, many resigned to the fact that is not achievable in our lifetime. Not even in the next 50 years.

At times I would day dream of the perfect Malaysia with equality, justice, freedom, democracy, efficient, corruption-free and a supercharged economy. Why not? It is not rocket science as we have the bedrock of a common law system that can work very well, provided that judges are fair and impartial, abundance of natural resources and a hardworking and intelligent population. If Singapore can do it without any resources why can't Malaysia?

Until 8th March 2008, being a Malaysian means we have to be at the whims and fancy of those in power, the BN and its cronies. But after that date, Malaysia came back into me and the idea of Malaysia for Malaysians suddenty became credible and workable. The key is to join hands, regardless of race, and make Malaysia a better place. We can do it if we believe in it and the fact you have voted for change, something that was almost impossible to dream of before the polls, is our first step towards achieving the goal.

If we don't give up, we can do it and restore the real Malaysian in us.

"We will surely get to our destination if we join hands."
- Aung San Suu Kyi

One People, One Nation, One Malaysia


No comments:

 
log analysis