Saturday, September 20, 2008

Saleable Service

It would have been just another Friday afternoon, casual and taking things easy as we all were anticipating for the weekend.

But it was different this time. I was called in by one of the firm's partner into his office. I thought I was in trouble or something as I rarely work for him. What more could I expect when I was called in.

Did I do something wrong?

To much surprise it wasn't what I've thought. He just wanted to have a chat with me regarding my 'foresight'. He started off by asking me whether have I done any formal work before on future business planning or any of that sort. No I didn't.

The reason he summoned me because of a short story I wrote last Friday during a leadership training session. The coach asked us to write a story, past or future, and the moral of if it that could inspire our colleagues in the workplace to work as a team and advance forward.

While I guess most of the attendees wrote about the past, mostly about certain situations or problems which were then resolved and became lessons for others.

I didn't write about the past and instead I wrote about a scenario of the firm's future standing.

Apparently what I wrote, according to the partner, was future studies or Strategic Foresight as known in the academia. He thought that I might have the potential to turn this foresight into a saleable service, i.e: strategic management consulting.

In the firm he is one of the two senior partners who does consulting/advisory with no underlings, whereas I work for other partners in the compliance section of tax, superannuation and audit.

He said if consulting is what I want to do further down the line then I should start seriously considering the option of picking up the skills now and be involved in discussion groups and networking. He is willing to provide the platform for me.

During the meeting I was pretty stunned as his words were pretty much spot on on what I want to do in the future in the accounting field. I would like to become a consultant one day in addition to my other ambitions in the investment arena, and to a certain degree, politics.

It is also my intention to pick up some knowledge and skills in strategic management accounting next year, albeit nobody knows about it in the firm.

In a way I am delighted that someone is spot on regarding my career aspirations but on the other hand it would be a real challenge because in consulting it is either you make it or just get out.

Who would pay $1000 per hour for lousy advice?

No comments:

 
log analysis