Friday, September 26, 2008

Writing my story

Despite my busy schedule I took time off to write a rather light-hearted and casual proposal for the firm's management which I thought at first would be relatively quick to write but the 2 page piece took almost an hour and a half. The time otherwise would have been spent on my superannuation readings.

On Wednesday a professor from University of Western Australia came to present the result of a survey of the firm which was pretty good but still contain room for improvements.The whole firm attended the presentation and not a soul was on the floor beyond the conference room - a sign of a serious issue.

At the end of it the management encouraged employees from all levels to speak up about the result and how we can improve further in the coming weekly Friday meeting which I've no doubt that the speaking will come from the upper level staff only, as usual. They always dominate the scene which is of course understandable given their level.

I only speak up when absolutely necessary.

Since the start of the financial year I sensed that the management is attempting a steady reform, from culture to work performance, and they are getting uneasy about middle to lower level staff keeping quiet all the time when they want feedback from us.

Well this time I am going on board as I've formulated my opinion strong enough to put it on table despite my written proposal is just a casual 2 page piece, which I deliberately made it so. This will be my stick to test the depth of the water, metaphorically speaking.

My plan is to email everyone my proposal tomorrow, setting an agenda for the weekly meeting and see how it goes.

After slightly more than a year in the firm, I am ready to write my own story.

No comments:

 
log analysis